Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Target.com Blocks Israel From Accessing Their Website

Posted: 2016-12-07




denied 




Yael A. an American student now living in Israel confirmed with her friends that they too could not access the site and contacted Target support to find out why she was blocked. Target responded with this  letter.

“The reason you’re unable to place orders on Target.com from Israel is to ensure the data security of all our guests. Target.com has made the conscious decision to block IP addresses originating from Israel, as it is one of the top 5 countries from which malicious attacks against our website originate.

Although you can’t access the site from Israel, our team is more than happy to help you place a domestic order over the phone. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call at your convenience, our Target.com is available 24 hours a day, every day of the week.  To place an order on Target.com you can call 1(800) 591-3869.”

Yael’s friends also complained and were sent the same templated answer.

OS NEWS reached out to Yael and asked her what she thinks about the Israel ban.


“I just went onto the Target website as I occasionally do to see if there are any new clothes I am interested in to either buy when I visit or have my mother pick up for me. I tried to go on and it said access denied. I tried a few more times. I asked my friends and they too were blocked! I complained and got an automated response. Hearing that they intentionally blocked Israel has me thinking if I need to boycott them now, which would be a shame because when I do visit the states, I am there pretty much every day. My friends in Israel and I constantly say things like “if only Israel had a target it would be perfect.” It’s really a shame to see them do this. Also, saying we can ” place a domestic order over the phone” is kind of insulting. It’s absurd for them to think that would be some sort of acceptable compromise for loyal customers. But I don’t even think they want my business because A. How are we supposed to know what we want if we can’t even see what they have to offer and B. 

Don’t they know that their 800 number can’t be dialed from outside the USA? I feel I am being lied to.” Yael said.
Chani Hadad, an English Instructor at Touro College in Israel said “Why does Target have a problem with Israel that Amazon, Old Navy, Next Direct, etc. does not?”

A petition at Change.org petition titled “Target.com Should not contribute to BDS and unblock Israel from their site!” was started. It reads in part:
“The fact that they are saying that Israel, is one of the top 5 countries from which malicious attacks against their website originates does not sound genuine. Israel is never seen on any top ten list of countries that have high hacking occurrences. Please provide proof of this Target as well as the other 5 countries that are banned.

In the meantime please sign this petition which will go straight to Brian C. Cornell, Target’s Chairman and CEO and John J. Mulligan Executive Vice President and COO.”

No comments:

Post a Comment